Skip to main content

Autumn 2015 In Brandon Bay



Hello I apologise for not updating this blog recently as I have been doing a lot of school work and it wasn't helped by the fact this is my 3rd attempt due to problems with the blog not saving but hopefully this can fill you guys in on what i have been doing.  
Also if you would like more regular updates you can like my new Facebook page www.facebook.com/finnmellon93/ 
Thank you very much and enjoy.

September / Most of October
September and the majority of October was windless ! Both months without any rain, so it was like the summer we never had. With the lack of normal prevailing South Westerlies we had mainly either complete claim or Easterlies so that meant we got a lot of sick surf, Day after day of surfing !



Fun Surf before school ;)





Successful road tripping !

that wave is bigger than you think ;)


sadly Gopro footage really takes the size out of this big wave 




Irish Champions
Pretty stoked to be this years Irish youth Champion and also Am fleet champion ! And great have Dad(Niall) Coming 2nd in the overall championships
Im looking forward to competing against him soon ;) 
Niall using the K4 Harness Gopro Mount



 Sharing is caring



Windsurfing
Eventually after all that surfing the wind had to come back, and it sure did ! 
The sailing we had was great fun mainly because of all the people sailing on the water. I love it when there are lots of other people on the water, I feel it makes everyone sail better and pushes the standard as you want to try and do better than your last wave to impress others watching.




*Geeky board bit*
This was my second sail on my 86 Litre Quatro Pyramid, So i was starting to understand it as it is a lot different to the previous Quatro boards. Its really good for those light wind sessions as it holds a lot of float around the centre of the board but once you get onto a wave and step back into the footstraps it becomes really loose and gives a very surfboard feel because it is so manoeuvrable. The back footstrap is very far back on the board, right onto of the fin to be precise, And this is what gives it such a surf like feel on the wave face.

pretty manoeuvrable for a big board ;)



You wont miss me and my bright kit









I recently got my Soloshot working and now that i have done that the results are sick ! both of these pictures came from screen grabs came from using the Soloshot. Its especially useful for me as generally when ever there is wind Dad and I both want to  be on the water and not sitting on the beach filming.



November
Quite Windy !!
November has arrived and with that it has brought lots of wind and the cold weather has also arrived ! 
My last 4 sails have been as follows 3.3 4.0 3.3 and 4.0 again, and we have had to not go sailing twice because it was just far too windy, This week we had a day that was even windier than the day the Red Bull Storm chase came here to Brandon Bay


Thanks for taking some of these pictures
Tim Smith from Ireland  On The wall  : www.facebook.com/onthewallireland
And to Nicolas Jones Photography www.facebook.com/nicolasjonesphotography

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer 2016

Summer 2016 This summer has been a very good summer for me, In Between working at the beach For Jamie Knox Watersports I got some pretty nice sailing at home not that much of it but some good fun sessions, I also went to Pozo in Gran Canaria for my first time for some jumping training, and then I returned to Tenerife for more onshore training ad for the PWA Event at Cabezo. In this blog I'll talk about my first experiences at Pozo and how Tenerife went for me. Sticking up my new 2016 GA Sails Pozo Pozo was my first excursion of the year, I went the week after I finished school. I traveled by myself  I planned on renting kit in Pozo, I flew from Dublin to Gran Canaria which again is the typical very boring and uncomfortable trip to the Canarias ! For the first 2 nights I had an AirBnb appartment to myself which was nice (Ps. Thanks Adam Lewis for teaching me how to use a gass cooker) and then for the other 4 days staying at the Windsurfing Hostel. Not a bad view from

Spring 2016

Surf Trip Clare   On the 13th of April, Myself and my parents traveled to Clare for a weekend of surfing as there was a Junior National Surf Comp but I also knew Jamie O'Brien was in Clare filming new "Who Is JOB 6.0". A few days before I got a message from JOB on snapchat,I was over the moon getting a reply from him, and that made me super excited for the weekend ahead. I didn't think I would get to see him I was just excited by the fact i was even in the same country as JOB seeing as that he is my favourite surfer. Once we arrived it was pumping so I jumped straight into the water, And once returning back to the beach my Mom said "Jamie O'Brien was here 5 minutes ago" I didn't believe mom at first,I didn't want to believe I had missed the chance to see him !  Later on that day I went searching for Surf with Tom Knox and two other friends and as we were getting close to the surf spot we were over taken by this Red Bull Van, I instantly

Quatro Super Mini 83 Mini

Quatro Super Mini 83 Mini first impressions Rik from zero gravity was over here for some sailing with board in his van. It seamed rude to let him talk it home, so it ours now. As a rule I tend to choose the board within a range which are the most suited to good DTL conditions but with Finn spending more time in onshore spots and anything which helps with getting going fast  has to be of interest. So far only it  sailed 4 times. 3 times in waves and  once on flat  water. Some 5.4 weather but mostly 4.7 in  head high waves, side shore and  onshore . I bought it as a crappy conditions/ onshore/ jump board which will get sailed in proper ground swell too. It's a sweet board very quick to get going and fast while still having a good front side turn. In average south coast / Tenerife conditions it is  great board because  Super quick to get going  Jumps really well feeling light and small in the air.  Points really high.   Very good at carrying speed on soft waves. You